E-Verify is the Internet-based system that some employers use to confirm the employment eligibility of newly hired employees. It compares information from an employee’s Form I-9 to data from DHS and the Social Security Administration records. If the information matches, the employee is eligible to work in the United States. If there’s a mismatch, E-Verify will alert the employer and the employee will be allowed to work while he or she resolves the problem. However, once the individual has successfully resolves the tentative nonconfirmation (TNC), future TNCs can occur unless the individual affirmatively corrects inaccuracies in his or her immigration records. USCIS provides guidance on how an individual can do so:

Contact USCIS to correct Form 1-551, Lawful Permanent Resident Card, or Form 1-766, Employment Authorization Document, by calling the National Customer Service Center, 1-800-375-5283, or scheduling an appointment for an in-person interview at a local USCIS office at  http://infopass.uscis.gov. The latter may be more effective.

Submit a Privacy Act amendment request if you know the information that needs to be corrected. Submit the request to the Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act (FOIA/P A) Office, Privacy Act Amendment, USCIS, National Records Center, FOIA/P A Office, P.O. Box 648010, Lee’s Summit, MO 64064-8010. USCIS advises that a copy of the following information be included with the submission:  full name and A number, notarized signature of the applicant, a return address, and copies of immigration document requiring correction. If you do not know the information to be corrected, a written request to obtain records can be submitting on Form G-639, FOIA/P A Request, available online at http://www.uscis.gov/files/formlg-639.pd£  Mark the  envelope “Privacy Act Request.” Make sure to keep a copy of your request.

Contact USCIS or Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to correct your Form 1-94, Arrival-Departure Record. If there is an error on your USCIS-issued Form I-94, contact USCIS at the National Customer Service Center. If the error is in your computer-generated Form 1-94 record, you must visit a local CBP Deferred Inspection Site, a Port of Entry, or a Port of Admission to have it corrected. See www.cbp.gov and click on the “Ports” for locations.

If you are a student or exchange visitor, go to www.ice.gov/SEVIS, which contains information on how to update records.